Damodar Kunda Trekking Mustang | Mustang Trek Plans Costs and Routine
|Upper Mustang Expedition and Trekking|
Blogger Dai is back with a new trekking destination for travelers and trekkers from all around the world. Damodar Kunda trek is the best trekking experience for high-altitude trekkers, especially for those who haven't been to Mustang yet.
Damodar Kunda can be your best Himalayan expedition. Not only for trekkers but also for the religious Hindu people from Nepal and India, Damodar Kunda is a must-go place for trekking. The beauty of Mustang has added more flavors to a religious place making it the best trek destination for national and international tourists.
We'll guide you in planning your best trip for the Damodar Kunda trek ahead. Trek Mustang and don't miss the chance to wanderlust in the beauty of the great Himalaya. Find more about Mustang treks plans, costs, and daily routine charts to make your best trekking experience.
Damodar Kunda and Upper Mustang
Damodar Kunda is a famous religious destination for the Hindus from India and Nepal. Kunda basically means lake. Damodar Kunda is a holy lake situated in the lap of the great Damodar Mountain. The famous lake lies at a high altitude of more than 4500m, with great scenery and landscapes for the trekkers.
Whip all your sins by bathing with the holy water of Damodar Kunda. Damodar Kunda Trek is one of the adventurous and challenging high-altitude treks of Nepal. Upper Mustang is the best and most famous trekking destination worldwide. It is a restricted area in Nepal. So, permits are compulsory.
Highlights and Attractions of Damodar Kunda Trekking
Find out why people want to trek to Damodar Kunda or upper Mustang. These are the highlights of the Damodar Kunda Trek that might make you ready for the trek.
- High-altitude Treks in the Himalayan
- Favorable Trekking Landscapes and Surroundings
- Beautiful Views and attractions
- Highlights of Mixed Mustang and Tibetan Cultures
- Explorations of Jomsom, Muktinath, Kagbeni
- Homestays and hotels with warm gestures
- Hiking Experience
- Views of Mountain Ranges like
Explorations of Upper Mustang
Mustang is a district in the Himalayas region of Nepal. The upper Mustang is the best tourist area for trekking and hiking. Damodar Kunda and Muktinath, it has been holy religious places for the Hindu pilgrims.
The Himalayas' cultures, cuisines, and traditions are the major explorations in the upper mustang trek. The Himalayan architecture is another sightseeing in the journey. Damodar Kunda Trek is a lifetime experience for trekkers worldwide.
Not only Hindus but Buddhists and any religion people can trek to Mustang the exploration of the religious diversity in Nepal. To explore the Tibetian plateau and beautiful mountain ranges.
Trips and permits for the trek
We can reach the trekking destinations by the means of roadways and airways. The upper mustang is a restricted region in Nepal. So, you do need a trekking permit before going trekking.
There are a lot of trekking and travel companies who provide the trekking plans and packages according to the facilities and duration. A minimum of 20 days are best for the Damodar Kunda trek and upper Mustang explorations.
There is no direct flight to Jomsom from Kathmandu, the capital, so the airways operate from Kathmandu to Pokhara and Pokhara to Jomsom. Either you can book a private vehicle from a travel company. Domestic flights and Private Vehicle Safari are the best means of Mustang trip from Kathmandu.
Airways To Reach Jomsom Airpot
Tribhuban International Airport, Kathmandu - Pokhara Airport, Kaski - Jomsom Airport Mustang
Roadways To Reach Jomsom
The roadway expedition to Jomson from Kathmandu includes the sightseeing of beautiful and exotic views in the journey. The journey starts from Kathmandu to Pokhara, and from Pokhara to Jomsom. You have to book a private vehicle, a Jeep or famous Mustang Gadi for the trip.
Kathmandu - Mugling - Pokhara - Baglung -Jomsom
Permits You require
Upper Mustang is a restricted area in Nepal. So, you cannot visit without any permits. You will require two types of permits before the treks.
For a complete expedition of the upper Mustang, one needs an upper Mustang restricted permit, Annapurna Area Permit, and Trekking Information management system.
Legal trekking agencies in Nepal provide you the permits for Mustang Trek.
Duration of Treks and Explorations
The trip duration to the upper Mustang depends on the modes of transportation you are using. If you reach Jomsom via flight. The time to reach Jomsom is approximately an hour flight. Kathmandu to Pokhara flight duration is 30 minutes and Pokhara to Jomsom Flight is 25 minutes of duration.
The treks duration can vary on the itinerary and places you visit. The treks can be customized according to your time frame but 20 days of total trekking duration are recommended for the best expedition and explorations.
For roadway travelers, the trip duration takes a longer time, usually 5-6 hours of ride to Pokhara from Kathmandu and an hour drive from Pokhara to Phedi. Trekkers usually trek to Kagbeni Village to sightsee the beautiful Ghorepani Hills. It usually takes longer than the flight but you can explore more beauties riding the Jeep Safari.
You don't want to miss:
Annapurna and Damodar Ranges
The ancient Buddhist Kingdom
Cultures and Traditions
Landscapes and Natural Scenery
20 Days Itinerary For upper Mustang trek
Blogger Dai has prepared you 20 days of Itinerary for your successful expedition and lifetime explorations of Mustang Trek. Check the Itinerary and Plan your trip.
- Day 1 - Kathmandu To Pokhara Drive. Local Buses are also available but it is preferred to book a jeep for the Jeep Safari.
- Day 2 - Day Explorations in Pokhara. Pokhara is the best place for tourists and visiting. You can exclude explorations in Pokhara if you have already been.
- Day 3 - Flight To Jomsom Airport. Either you can drive to Phedi and trek to Kagbeni from Phedi exploring the beautiful Ghorepani hills. It depends on your trekking days plan whether you fly or ride to Jomsom.
- Day 4 - Day Explorations in Jomsom. A day exploration in Jomsom helps you in exploring the beautiful Jomsom town and exploring the Buddhist Monasteries, their lifestyle, cultures and foods, and hospitability.
- Day 5 - Trek to Kagbeni. Kagbeni is the most famous tourist destination in Mustang. The place is also the origin of the religious Kali Gandaki River, where holy saligrams are found.
- Day 6 - Trek to Chele from Kagbeni. Chele Village in Mustang is the holy Buddhist Kingdom. Numbers of monks and Buddhists visit Chele to explore the old Buddhist Kingdom in Mustang.
- Day 7 - Trek to Syangbochen from Chele. Syangbochen is a village in Mustang. Natural Landscapes and Himalayan Botany are the eye-catching kinds of stuff on the trek.
- Day 8 - Syangbochen to Ghyami. You can rest either at tented camps or local lodges in Ghyami.
- Day 9 - Ghyami to Charang. Explorations of different mountain ranges and landscapes in Charang
- Day 10 - Charang to LoMangthang. It takes 4-5 hours of trek to reach LoMangthang from Charang.
- Day 11 - Day Explorations in LoMangthang. A day of exploration in LoMangthang helps to have some rest and explore the LoMangthang Village for the trekkers.
- Day 12 - Yara From loMangthang. Trek to Yara from loMangthang usually takes 5-6 hours of normal trekking.
- Day 13 - Yara to Bas Khola. Experience tented camp on Bas Khola at an altitude of 4800m.
- Day 14 - Damodar Kunda Trek from Bas Khola. The trekking is done via the route of Damodar Kunda Dada. Damodar Kunda is the center of attraction for hikers, religious visitors, and trekkers. Damodar Kunda is a holy lake. You can explore the Annapurna Range, Damodar Himal, other mountain ranges, the Tibetan plateau, and other landscapes from here.
- Day 15 - Damodar Kunda to Khechung Khola. Khechung Khola is basically a river named Khechung. It takes 6 -7 hours of duration to reach Khechung Khola from Damodar Kunda.
- Day 16 - Ghechung Khola to Tangye. On the 16th day of the trek, we reach Tangye after 4-5 hours of trekking duration from the Khechunh Khola.
- Day 17 - Tange to Tetang Village. The Tetang village is a gateway to the famous Muktinath in Mustang. Mustang is a famous tourist and religious heritage of Nepal. Each year, a lot of devotees from different parts of the world and Nepal visit the Muktinath. Muktinath is the holy place for Hindus in the Himalayan region of Nepal, where people from Tibet also come to visit.
- Day 18 - Explorations of Muktinath. On the 18th day of the trek, we explore the beauty of Muktinath temple. The Muktinath temple is at a very high altitude and people take bath in freezing water, as a praying. We return to Jomsom in the lodge after the exploration of Muktinath temple.
- Day 19 - Prepare for the departure. We will return to Pokhara on the 19th day via flight. We rest in Pokhara.
- Day 20 - Departure From Mustang Trek. Day 20 is the last day of our trekking itinerary. We will return to Kathmandu via ride or flight.
Trek Maps and Altitude Charts for Mustang Trek
Trekkers must know the altitude of the trekking destinations before trekking. We have made a trekking altitude chart for you. Check the altitudes for different places.
If you are a patient with altitude sickness or cold, you can consult the doctors before joining the trip.
Look at the altitude chart for the upper Mustang trek from Kathmandu.
|Damodar Kunda Trek Map with altitude|
|Altitude Chart For Mustang Trek|
Foods and Lodging
Typical Nepali and Himalayan Cuisine are the meals and lunches you can experience during the trip. You can enjoy the Churpi made from Yak's milk and tea made up from Yak's milk.
There are a lot of hotels and homestay services in Mustang. They even provide online booking services. You can find the facilities you might like and book a hotel or you can even book hotels during the trip.
Kathmandu and Pokhara are the only places where you can buy trekking equipment, and clothes. No ATM services are available on the trekking route. Only in Jomsom, you can have the ATM services. You should take care of your hygiene while trekking at a high altitude. Try avoiding too fatty food, and have a healthy diet.
Local Hotels provide you the best menu including the Nepali Cuisine blended with traditional Himalayan Flavors. Daal Bhaat, Dhindo(Typical Nepali Dish Made by mixing corns or wheat flours in boiling water) and Maasu (Meat) of Sheep and Chayangra (The Himalayan Goat).
There are many lodges and homestay services in Jomsom. Local Hotels are available on the trekking route. You can also experience a tented camp with your friends.
Best Time For Trekking
Spring and Autumn are the best seasons to visit Mustang with a moderate Himalayan climate and natural flora and fauna explorations. Most people trek to the Mustang in the September/October time of the year. It is also okay to visit in April and May.
Trekking Requirements and Guidance
These trekking requirements and guidance can help you. Check these requirements before trekking to the upper Mustang and the Damodar Kunda.
- Experienced and Regional tourist guide should be hired for the Damodar Kunda trekking.
- You should have the best trekking boots for high-altitude treks, trekking jackets, gloves, and trekking sticks.
- Hygienic Foods and Purified water are essential.
- Don't Forget the Permits, else you cannot trek in the restricted regions.
- Proper Rest should be taken, to avoid sickness and physical injuries during the trek.
- Trek with first aid kits.
- You should need a porter if you are trekking with heavy goods.
Companies that offer Trek to Mustang
There are a lot of companies that provide and manage the trekking to Mustang. The companies have different itineraries for the trek. They have different plannings and trek management. The costs of the companies also vary according to the facilities you acquire or get.
Blogger Dai Lists some of the best trekking companies and agencies that provide you trekking offers to Mustang and Damodar Kunda.
The trekking costs vary on the facilities and the trek duration as well as modes of transportation too. Different trek operators and travel companies offer different prices according to the services provided.
The starting range for the Mustang Trek can be $200 excluding the international tickets and visas for the international tourists.
The royal trekking services are provided at the costs of $350 to $400.The costs are determined based on lodging and foodingfloodingrmit costs.
If you are trekking without any trek and travel operators, the costs will include
- Transportation Costs
- Fooding and Lodging
- Permit Costs
- Porter Costs
- Guide Costs and
- Trekking Equipment Costs
The costs while traveling without the trip operator depends on the number of trekkers and facilities and your itinerary. A group of 8-10 trekkers is recommended for a lifetime trekking experience in the best trekking expedition in Nepal.
Read all the articles, before you plan your trip to the Mustang. This helps you manage your time and plan the best trip. If you are a patient with altitude sickness and coldness, you should consult the doctors and carry the regular medications by their prescription.
The trekking will be moderate to difficult based on the weather and environment. It will be difficult to walk due to geographical conditions, but sightseeing the Mustang and Tibetan Plateau will be a lifetime experience for any person.
Trekking to Mustang is not only a simple trek but a religious, cultural, and historical experience for any national and international tourists. We encourage all the Nepalese to explore the Mustang and the beauty of the Himalayas and to promote the tourism business. Find the best suiting Mustang trip for you and enjoy. Thank You!
Drop comments or try to contact us in case you need more information and guidance. Share this article and help promote tourism in Nepal.